Philosophia efere epististemosune. Philosophia ferei epististemosune.

Share | 
 

 Sirius - The use in the history

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rehua
Administrator
Administrator


Posts : 147
Join date : 2010-04-28
Age : 225
Location : Plateau

PostSubject: Sirius - The use in the history   Wed May 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Sirius, the brightest star, after the Sun, viewing from the Earth. For more information about the star itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius.

Sirius and the Ancient Greek Empire

First of all: the name Sirius comes from the Ancient Greek word: "Seirios". (Meaning "Glowing" or "Scorcher"). In the Ancient Greek mythology Artemis kills her love Orion accidentally. This made her so sad that she put Orion in the sky, as a constellation, with his dog Sirius next to him, so she could still look at him. Beautiful, isn't it? Razz [Further the Ancient Greeks believed that the appearance of Sirius heralded the hot and dry summer, and feared its effects on making plants wilt, men weaken and women become aroused. Due to its brightness, Sirius would have been noted to twinkle more in the unsettled weather conditions of early summer. To Greek observers, this signified certain emanations which caused its malign influence. People suffering its effects were said to be astroboletos (αστροβολητος) or 'star-struck'. It was described as 'burning' or 'flaming' in literature. The season following the star's appearance came to be known as the Dog Days of summer.] Citation: Wikipedia.

Sirius and the Ancient Egyptian Empire
The Egyptians based their calender on the heliacal rising of Sirius.

Sirius and Polynesia
Bright stars such as Sirius were important for the Polynesians, because they were used as navigation between the islands these people lived on. When the heats in Greece occurred due the rise of Sirius, it was winter were the Polynesians lived, that's why the name "Takurua" is both used for the winter, and for the star Sirius. Other names for Sirius are Tau-au in the Marquesas Islands, Rehua in New-Zealand, and Aa and Hoku-Kauopae in Hawaii.

Dogon
The Dogon people are an ethnic group in Mali, Africa. They've been reported to have scientific knowledge about Sirius which is impossible to have without the use of telescopes. They also mention a third star accompanying Sirius A and B. There have been people saying that they have been visited by aliens, other say they've gotten their information by European visitors.
Back to top Go down
http://vocatrem.findtalk.biz
CAPS LOCK
Administrator
Administrator


Posts : 96
Join date : 2010-04-28
Age : 20
Location : Candyland

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Wed May 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Rehua wrote:
Sirius and the Ancient Greek Empire

First of all: the name Sirius comes from the Ancient Greek word: "Seirios". (Meaning "Glowing" or "Scorcher"). In the Ancient Greek mythology Artemis kills her love Orion accidentally. This made her so sad that she put Orion in the sky, as a constellation, with his dog Sirius next to him, so she could still look at him. Beautiful, isn't it? Razz [Further the Ancient Greeks believed that the appearance of Sirius heralded the hot and dry summer, and feared its effects on making plants wilt, men weaken and women become aroused. Due to its brightness, Sirius would have been noted to twinkle more in the unsettled weather conditions of early summer. To Greek observers, this signified certain emanations which caused its malign influence. People suffering its effects were said to be astroboletos (αστροβολητος) or 'star-struck'. It was described as 'burning' or 'flaming' in literature. The season following the star's appearance came to be known as the Dog Days of summer.] Citation: Wikipedia.

It's amazing how the Greeks were observant enough to notice that it twinkled a little more in the heat than in moderate climate. I definitely admire those people

_______________________________________
Co-Founder of [b]Vocati[/b] [b]Socratem[/b], if you have any questions about the forum, please feel free to PM me
Back to top Go down
DOOKIE
Member
Member


Posts : 110
Join date : 2010-05-02
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Thu May 06, 2010 3:39 am

Same here, CAPS LOCK.
Back to top Go down
The Summer of Love
Member
Member


Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-05-03
Age : 21
Location : In between the rock hall and the football hall

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 am

Sirius Black is the Han Solo of Harry Potter
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/100percentbored
DOOKIE
Member
Member


Posts : 110
Join date : 2010-05-02
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Fri May 07, 2010 9:08 am

He dies in 'the Order of the Phoenix'. :[
Back to top Go down
Abiohazard
Member
Member


Posts : 59
Join date : 2010-05-08
Age : 106
Location : Jacksonville, FL

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Sat May 08, 2010 1:24 am

DOOKIE wrote:
He dies in 'the Order of the Phoenix'. :[

It's interesting because you discover he dies in the book series in the 'Half Blood Prince'. But you find out in the movie series in 'Order of the Phoenix'.
Back to top Go down
DOOKIE
Member
Member


Posts : 110
Join date : 2010-05-02
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Sat May 08, 2010 2:53 am

Huh, he dies in the book series in 'the Order of the Phoenix', the event is described in detail.
Back to top Go down
Abiohazard
Member
Member


Posts : 59
Join date : 2010-05-08
Age : 106
Location : Jacksonville, FL

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Sat May 08, 2010 3:19 am

Did I really say that? Simple-minded me. I remember his death XD
Back to top Go down
DOOKIE
Member
Member


Posts : 110
Join date : 2010-05-02
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Sat May 08, 2010 5:14 am

Lulz.
Back to top Go down
Rehua
Administrator
Administrator


Posts : 147
Join date : 2010-04-28
Age : 225
Location : Plateau

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Sat May 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Don't get too off-topic. I took time in writing this XD.
Back to top Go down
http://vocatrem.findtalk.biz
Ein
Member
Member


Posts : 10
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Sat May 08, 2010 5:41 pm

CAPS LOCK wrote:
Rehua wrote:
Sirius and the Ancient Greek Empire

First of all: the name Sirius comes from the Ancient Greek word: "Seirios". (Meaning "Glowing" or "Scorcher"). In the Ancient Greek mythology Artemis kills her love Orion accidentally. This made her so sad that she put Orion in the sky, as a constellation, with his dog Sirius next to him, so she could still look at him. Beautiful, isn't it? Razz [Further the Ancient Greeks believed that the appearance of Sirius heralded the hot and dry summer, and feared its effects on making plants wilt, men weaken and women become aroused. Due to its brightness, Sirius would have been noted to twinkle more in the unsettled weather conditions of early summer. To Greek observers, this signified certain emanations which caused its malign influence. People suffering its effects were said to be astroboletos (αστροβολητος) or 'star-struck'. It was described as 'burning' or 'flaming' in literature. The season following the star's appearance came to be known as the Dog Days of summer.] Citation: Wikipedia.

It's amazing how the Greeks were observant enough to notice that it twinkled a little more in the heat than in moderate climate. I definitely admire those people

I think if the Greeks hadn't existed, we might not be nearly as advanced in Science and medicine as we are now.
Back to top Go down
Rehua
Administrator
Administrator


Posts : 147
Join date : 2010-04-28
Age : 225
Location : Plateau

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Sat May 08, 2010 5:47 pm

If Christianity hadn't existed, we probably were something around discovering a vehicle that is able to travel at the speed of light (approx. 300,000 km/s). No offense.
Back to top Go down
http://vocatrem.findtalk.biz
James
Administrator
Administrator


Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-04-29
Age : 22
Location : Massachusetts

PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Sat May 08, 2010 7:39 pm

Ein wrote:
CAPS LOCK wrote:
Rehua wrote:
Sirius and the Ancient Greek Empire

First of all: the name Sirius comes from the Ancient Greek word: "Seirios". (Meaning "Glowing" or "Scorcher"). In the Ancient Greek mythology Artemis kills her love Orion accidentally. This made her so sad that she put Orion in the sky, as a constellation, with his dog Sirius next to him, so she could still look at him. Beautiful, isn't it? Razz [Further the Ancient Greeks believed that the appearance of Sirius heralded the hot and dry summer, and feared its effects on making plants wilt, men weaken and women become aroused. Due to its brightness, Sirius would have been noted to twinkle more in the unsettled weather conditions of early summer. To Greek observers, this signified certain emanations which caused its malign influence. People suffering its effects were said to be astroboletos (αστροβολητος) or 'star-struck'. It was described as 'burning' or 'flaming' in literature. The season following the star's appearance came to be known as the Dog Days of summer.] Citation: Wikipedia.

It's amazing how the Greeks were observant enough to notice that it twinkled a little more in the heat than in moderate climate. I definitely admire those people

I think if the Greeks hadn't existed, we might not be nearly as advanced in Science and medicine as we are now.
That is believable. Though the Arabs and Chinese had their share of innovations that can not be overlooked

And Rehua wins. Christianity, along with most religions, are simply an excuse to not further ourselves, they have become a brick wall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Sirius - The use in the history   Today at 7:07 am

Back to top Go down
 
Sirius - The use in the history
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The Mysterious Connection Between Sirius and Human History
» A Sort Of History of BMH Iserlohn
» BMH HISTORY
» Canadian holdings history
» Mansergh Bks - History

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vocati Socratem :: Science :: Astronomy-
Jump to: